Google+ Bree Bronson's Babies: The real marathon

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The real marathon

I don't think they'll give me a medal this time
Once I discovered that running isn't that bad I quite soon started dreaming of running a marathon. That was probably partly because Sister had just run one and was overly enthusiastic about it - but there was something else too. It was probably an urge to challenge myself and try my limits, to see what it would feel like. And I simply wanted to know if I could do it.

It wasn't until a couple of months before the run when I was brave enough to sign up. I didn't train like crazy and my target was just to make it to the finish line, but sure enough: I prepared for almost four months and did a long (over 20 kilometers) run every week. And the closer the marathon day came, the crazier I felt. Many people asked me why I wanted to do it. I had few good answers, keeping fit wasn't one of them. It isn't really necessary from healthy exercising's point of view to run up to 30 kilometers at once.

One hour before the start on the competition day I was so nervous that I was sure I'd faint or throw up any minute. I didn't. Sister and her boyfriend were my cheerleaders during the run and drove with a scooter popping up every now and then to scream and shout. Best Friend and another friend of mine accompanied them at the stadium once I crossed the finish line. The feeling along the route was fantastic and it was unbelievable to meet everyone once the run was over. I could do it again, the feeling of winning myself alone was worth it.

Some time ago I got an e-mail from Helsinki City Marathon promoting this year's competition. I could sign up already and many people have asked me if I will. I don't think so. Because, as it seems now, around August 17th when the competition is run this year I'll be giving birth to our third child.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's still hard to believe since I'm not (yet) throwing up or doubling my body weight every week. ;)

      Delete

If you say it, I'll hear you.